Hello jobseeker! We are Freedom Consulting Group. Here, employees have the freedom to spread their creative wings. With a team of experienced leaders and top-tier talent, we’ve worked hard to establish ourselves as the premier technology company serving the Intelligence Community. At Freedom, your brain is always in style.
Category: Data Scientist
Title: Geospatial Data Scientist
Location(s): Position Available in Washinton, DC
Security Clearance: Secret
This position is based in the United States Agency for International Development’s (USAID) GeoCenter, a team of geographers and analysts who apply geospatial technology, data analytics, and scenario planning to inform international development programming. The GeoCenter is part of the U.S. Global Development Lab that aims to harness the power of science, technology, innovation, and partnerships to source and scale dramatic breakthroughs that accelerate the achievement of foreign policy and development goals. The GeoCenter works with USAID operating units in Washington, D.C and the field to optimize the strategic planning, design, monitoring and evaluation of USAID’s programs. In addition to serving the analytical needs of the Agency, the GeoCenter also collaborates with interagency, international development organizations, and university partners in the geospatial community.
The Data Scientist is responsible for working with subject matter experts to address priority development challenges and enhance the Agency’s capacity to integrate data and analysis into routine decision making. Responsibilities will include:
Technical Support and Analytical Services
● Apply data science techniques to priority international development challenges
● Assist USAID subject matter experts with data science focused analytical thinking for improved planning, monitoring, evaluation, and reporting of programs.
● Design, develop and deliver data analysis and visualization products to support USAID operations at all stages of the development programming cycle.
● Acquire, process, manage, and analyze data from a range of sources for improved decision making
● Collaborate with a team of interdisciplinary experts within the GeoCenter
Strategic Planning, Support, and Capacity Building
● Provide consultation to non-technical audiences and develop and implement guidance on integrating data and analysis in routine decision making processes.
● Prepare concept papers, background analyses, and briefings to build support for the use of data analytics and data science techniques throughout the USAID.
● Facilitate discussion among key USAID stakeholders to articulate a vision and plan for integrating data science into planning, delivering, and assessing development programs
● Provide training and capacity building services to non-technical audiences on accessing, analyzing, and visualizing data
The Data Scientist will demonstrate experience and expertise in the following technical areas:
● Strong quantitative background and experience in data collection, cleaning, processing and applied analysis and visualization using statistical software or programming languages (Python, Stata, SAS, R, SPSS, MATLAB, Tableau, PowerBI)
● Ability to produce compelling data visualization products using Adobe applications, such as Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign
● Curious, self-motivated individual with excellent communications skills -- must be able to distill highly technical quantitative methods into policy relevant snippets
● Experience translating statistical, regression and visualization results into briefing documents or presentations for senior leadership
● Ability to apply data science analytical techniques to problems and data sets spanning diverse sectors as agriculture, democracy & governance, economic growth, education, environment, and health
● Strategic project leadership: experience leading and facilitating projects through concept, iterative design and development, delivery, and ongoing support
● 4 years of experience or 2 years of experience with an advanced quantitative degree in a field such as Statistics, Math, Computer Science, Economics, Engineering, or a related technical field
• Expected to perform short term technical assistance overseas
• Must be a U.S. Citizen
• Must be able to attain a Secret Level Security Clearance
Background Investigation required.
U.S. Citizenship is required.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, disability or veteran status.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor